Internship Eat to Thrive & Real Kids Real Food
Application Deadline: CLOSED
Position: Part-time and Unpaid
Excellent opportunity for college credit, see testimonials https://realkidsrealfood.org/testimonial/
Today, it is estimated that every 1 in 5 American children aged 3-19 are struggling with obesity, often a form of malnutrition (CDC, 2017). The pervasive consequences of this epidemic include increased risk for the child to develop other chronic diseases, such as asthma, bone and joint problems, sleep apnea, risk factors for heart disease, and diabetes (CDC, 2017). The mission of Eat to Thrive & Real Kids Real Food is to prevent obesity, chronic disease, and malnutrition through the education and advocacy of healthy living.
Our mission is manifested in two unique programs: Eat to Thrive and Real Kids Real Food. Since 2008, Eat to Thrive continues to be a renowned 10 week course for adults seeking to improve their health. The lessons in Eat to Thrive have ranged from plant-based nutrition and food preparation to sprouting, exercise, and mind-body connection. Real Kids Real Food (RKRF) began as a health program for inner-city, underserved, low-income children and their families in public housing and public schools. During the Pandemic, the program is now all online facilitated by 8 college interns for 3 age groups (3-6; 7-12; 13-19). The program provides age-appropriate lessons on nutrition, exercise, food preparation, and mindfulness. The teen program incorporates environmental justice and its relation to nutrition.
Where: Virtual through Zoom
When: Beginning Monday, January 11, 2021. Immediately. Part-time, flexible hours. College credit or volunteer.
Why: To fulfill the mission of preventing obesity, chronic disease and malnutrition, especially in children, through education and advocacy of healthy living.
Start & End dates: WINTER 2021 January 11 – April 11
Hours: 10 hrs/ week, a total of 120 hours
Planning lessons & teaching RKRF, ETT classes, admin. assistance
Field Supervisor’s Name: Betsy Bragg
Internship Location: Virtual on Zoom
Eat to Thrive Virtual classes Thursdays. 6 – 9 pm EST February 4 – April 22
Real Kids Real Food Virtual classes Saturdays, 10 – 11 am & 1 – 2 pm EST January 30 – April 3
- Develop lesson plans and teach online (Zoom) classes to one of three age groups (3-6), (7-12), (13-19)
- Marketing, Fundraising and social media for Eat to Thrive and Real Kids Real Food
- Research and refine existing lesson plans
- Prepare and film food demonstrations
- Assist with budget-making, finances, and newsletters
- Provide support completing administrative tasks
- Post recipes, photos, lesson plans, and zoom meeting recordings on Youtube and on social media
- Mac computer literacy and technical support including Zoom meetings, Google Doc, Instagram, Facebook, Constant Contact Newsletters (will be instructed) and Youtube (Must have Mac laptop with word processing software)
- Passionate about promoting our mission: to prevent obesity, chronic disease, and malnutrition, especially in children, through education and advocacy of healthy living
- Experience with kids and teens (on Zoom a plus)
- Excellent writing skills and basic graphic design
- Enjoys preparing food
- Works well as a team member, flexible, punctual, and fun
- Interest in Wellness, Vegan, or vegetarian lifestyle is a plus
- Required skills: Mac, Microsoft office, Mac photos\Experience with Zoom, Google drive, Youtube, Constant Contact, Facebook, graphics, Excel, WordPress, Twitter, is a plus
- Authorization to be filmed on Zoom
- Willingness to write a testimonial at the end of the internship
- Available on Thursdays, February 4 – April 22, 2021 from 6 – 9 pm EST. for Eat to Thrive
- Available on January 11 through April 11, 2021 (This includes Saturdays, January 30 – April 3, 2021 from 11 – 12:30 am and 1 – 2:30 pm EST. for Real Kids Real Food)
Check out our counselors’ testimonials by clicking the link below!